Where I Make Kahlil: #showyourwork
I thought I'd show where it is I make Kahlil, my comic about what would happen if Superman didn't land in Kansas – he landed in Pakistan. I've been working on it during free nights and weekends and these things make it a little easier to do.
A Couple of things to note about the workspace:
- A Minisun lightpad as the surface for the actual drawing of the comic. I find this super useful for reference, perspective and It reminds me of architecture school which is always – well, I was going to say nice, but you get the idea.
- I have a lot of notebooks. I really like notebooks. There's a Rhodia (my go-to. I've gone through a couple of these. Dot grid all day baby), Moleskine cahiers, a BaronFig, and James Jean cahiers which I almost don't want to use, they're that beautiful.
- Jabra bluetooth headphones to get really stuck into work.
- Two Derwent pencil cases filled with an assortment of Rotring pencils, Kuru Toga pencils (so, so good), a Faber Castell clutch pencil, Sakura Pigma microns, and a bunch of brush pens. Oh and a dip pen I am still totally not worthy to hold yet.
- A good steel ruler.
- A circle template because, hey guess what!? I can't freehand circles.
- A desk fan (to turn on when sleeping, not working – I don't need papers flying around when I'm trying to ink.)
- Copies of Making Comics by Scott McCloud (a necessary addition to anyone's library - especially if you want to MAKE COMICS), Descender by Lemire and Nguyen (a fun read with beautiful art), and Fraction and Aja's run on The Immortal Iron Fist which is FAN-tastic.
- I draw on A3 Daler Rowney cartridge sheets. You can spot some of the art for the cover to Chapter 03 of the comic.
- And finally, that's not a desk – it's a kitchen table. Totally better than a desk. Get a kitchen table.
I find this stuff so interesting so I'd love to see everyone else's workspace. (read: LET ME ACQUIRE THE SECRETS TO HOW YOU WORK)
It's all good stuff that I literally use everyday as you can see on my
desk kitchen table.
Who needs tables in kitchens anyways?